Who owns a fireplace? If so, have you started using it? The winter season may be extremely cold for many, but an opportunity for those with fireplaces to use them. Once you start using them, it is very important to keep them clean as soot and other buildups can quickly increase. TLC’s How Stuff Works has a quick list of cleaning tips to help keep your fireplace functioning through the season. To see more, click here or visit tlc.howstuffworks.com for even more tips and ideas around the home.
5 Fireplace Cleaning Tips
- Never use an abrasive cleanser inside the fireplace. Many leave a flammable residue.
- When cleaning your fireplace, sprinkle damp coffee grounds over the cooled ashes to keep down the dust.
- Vacuum or dust the hearth area weekly to prevent dust and soot buildup. Do not sweep or vacuum until all the embers have been extinguished for at least 12 hours.
- Burn only seasoned, well-dried wood to minimize dangerous creosote buildup.
- Inspect the firebox, flue, and chimney annually for creosote accumulation.