We have come to that time of year where we sit back, relax and think about the world of design. It feels like only yesterday that we toasted well wishes for 2011. When you think of 2011, what memories come to mind? Can you think of any memorable stories or events? For us, this year brought us amazing innovation and celebration that we must discuss. Take a look at our favorite stories, celebs, interiors and décor.
|photo: WaterShed at the University of Maryland Facebook page|
Favorite Architect of 2011: University of Maryland – A big congratulations is in order for the University of Maryland team (our executive editor’s alma mater) who took home first place in the 2011 Solar Decathlon. Winning top awards throughout the various categories, Maryland provided a modern and eco-friendly solution to shelter, energy and water shortages. We love their inspired home (pulled inspirations from the Chesapeake Bag) as well as practical ways to filter pollutants, minimized water usage and manage storm water. Click here to read the article, “Congrats University of Maryland on Winning the 2011 Solar Decathlon.”
|David Rockwell (Photo Credit: Monica Almeida, The New York Times)|
Favorite Designer of 2011: David Rockwell – For the second year in a row, architect and designer David Rockwell has made our list. Noted for his set design (see “Enjoy the Academy Awards? Check Out the ManBehind the Design”) and lasting print on the architectural community, Rockwell received high accolades from the Design Industries Foundation Fighting AIDS (see “DIFFA Honors Acclaimed Architect and Designer David Rockwell”). Forget the drama with Donald Trump (see “Battleof the Trump: Developers vs. Project Architect”), Rockwell has had an amazing year and continues to make strides in our industry.
Favorite Celeb Design Personalities: Vern Yip and Dina Manzo – Vern and Dina have seen much success this year in their respected fields. For years, Vern has revealed his knowledge of architecture wowing audiences on past hit, ‘Trading Spaces.’ Displaying true longevity in the world of design (and television), we now watch Vern’s expertise behind the judge’s panel on the HGTV hit reality show, ‘Design Star.’ In addition to the show, Yip brought beautifully-styled interiors with this year’s Urban Oasis (see “CheckOut HGTV’s 2011 Urban Oasis”). And if you think Vern is done, think again! Premiering over the summer, the Vern Yip Home Collection for HSN (see “AnExclusive Sneak Peek at the Vern Yip Home Collection”) took the home décor markets by storm with a family-inspired aesthetic, and fashionable furnishings for the home. Vern is one of those talents that will continue to remain relevant in our industry.
|Dina Manzo (Photo Credit: Jemal Countess/Getty Images, OK Magazine)|
Who would have thought that a reality housewife could become a designing star? Dina Manzo may be a former cast member on Bravo’s ‘The Real Housewives of New Jersey,’ but she commands her own respect as an interior designer and event stylist. Boasting decades of experience, Manzo has transformed ordinary spaces into extraordinary affairs for celebs and influential figures. With so much talent, it was only a matter of time before cameras follow Dina and crew on their journey of events and luxury. This past September, we had the pleasure of discussing design with Dina and her new HGTV show, ‘Dina’s Party.’ Click here to read the article, “Dina’s Party Premieres Tomorrow. See Our Q&Awith the New HGTV Star.” As one of the first and only event-focused shows on the network, we are certain Dina will have continued success!
|“GOSSIP GIRL episode 421 — “Shattered Bass” WB Photo by: Giovanni Rufino/The CW 2011. The CW Network LLC all rights reserved|
Other Honorable Favorites Include:
- Favorite Television Set Design – Gossip Girl
- Favorite Cinema Set Design – X-Men First Class
- Favorite Celeb Interiors: Alec Baldwin, Will Smith & Jada Pinkett-Smith, Chris Brown
- Favorite Design Showhouse (Event): Esquire Magazine’s 2011 Ultimate Bachelor Pad
- Favorite Home Décor Showrooms: HomeGoods, Waterworks, West Elm, Pier 1 Imports
- Favorite Magazines: Architectural Digest, House Beautiful
- Favorite Décor (Design) Event: 2011 Designer Visions: Cinema Style, 2011 Architectural Digest Home & Design Show, HomeGoods Manhattan Opening, 2011 NYDC “What’s New, What’s Next,” Real Simple Holiday Pop-Up Store
- Favorite Piece of Furniture: Sustainable/Recycled Seating
- Favorite Color: Smoke Gray
- Favorite Charity Event: 2011 Housing Work’s Design on a Dime
- Favorite Sustainable Project: Healthy Homes for Haiti
- Favorite Architecture/Design Projects: New World Trade Center, David Barton Gym
- Favorite Celeb/Fashion Designer Turned Decorator: Diane von Furstenberg, Diane Keaton, Jennifer Lopez
- Favorite DIY Projects/Crafts: Needle-Felted Angry Birds, DIY Glassware Engraving, DIY Simple Tufted Headboard